2012 CAE Recipient Profile - Lassonde Industries Inc.
Lassonde Industries Inc. develops, manufactures and markets a wide range of fruit and vegetable juices and drinks. One of its subsidiaries, Clement Pappas and Company Inc. (CPC), is the second largest producer of store brand ready-to-drink fruit juices and drinks in the United States and a major producer of cranberry juices, drinks and sauces. Furthermore, Lassonde Industries Inc. develops, manufactures and markets specialty food products such as fondue broths and sauces, soups, sauces and gravies, canned corn-on-the-cob, bruschetta toppings, tapenades, pestos and sauces for pasta and pizza. It also imports selected wines from several countries of origin for packaging and marketing purposes and also produces apple cider and wine-based beverages. The Company produces superior quality products through the efforts of some 2,000 people working in 14 plants across Canada and the United States. The shares of Lassonde Industries Inc. are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX).
The Company has four principal operating subsidiaries: A. Lassonde Inc., Clement Pappas and Company Inc., Lassonde Specialties Inc., and Arista Wines Inc. It is active in two market segments: the retail segment and the food service segment. Retail sales account for approximately 89% of total sales and consist of sales to food retailers and wholesalers such as supermarket chains, independent grocers, superstores, warehouse clubs, and major pharmacy chains. Food service sales account for approximately 11% of total sales and consist of sales to restaurants, hotels, hospitals and schools.
The Company’s national brands are sold in various packages under several proprietary trademarks, including Antico, Arte Nova, Bistro Mundo, Bombay, Canton, Everfresh, Fairlee, Flavür, Fruité, Grown Right, miSangrina, Mont-Rouge, Oasis, Orange Maison, Pomme de Coeur, Rich n’ Ready, Rougemont, Ruby Kist, Sunlike, Tropical Grove as well as under trademarks for which the Company is a licensed user such as Allen’s, Canadian Club, Graves, Mitchell’s, Nature’s Best, Old South and Tetley. When adjusted to include the annual sales of CPC, the Company’s sales are geographically broken down as follows: approximately 53% of the Company’s sales are in Canada, 46% in the United States and 1% in other countries.
Health, Safety and Wellness Profile
Healthy Enterprise Policy
Lassonde Industries Inc. considers the health, safety and wellness of all its employees to be of the greatest importance. In this respect, we have a responsibility to protect and maintain the health, safety and wellness of our employees as well as the health, safety and wellness of local communities and of our customers. We confirm this commitment by adopting and distributing a policy for workplace health, safety and wellness (WHSW).
We believe that health, safety and wellness are an integral part of a company’s management functions and that they are compatible with all other functions.
Accordingly, Lassonde Industries Inc. is engaged in a continuous improvement process of organizational practices favorable to health, safety, and wellness, as well as respectful of the environment.
WHSW policies and practices are the responsibility of supervisors with the active support of senior management. Our commitments in this respect are as follows:
- To establish corporate directives and programs based on legal provisions and targeting a work environment for our activities that is safe, environmentally friendly, and conductive to health and wellness;
- To ensure the development and implementation in groups and divisions of policies and methods in line with corporate guidelines for health, safety, wellness and the environment;
- To evaluate, on regular basis, our results with regard to health, organizational practices that promote health, safety, wellness and the environment, using internal guidelines and methods as well as external regulations;
- To offer all co-workers and sub-contractors a stimulating, respectful and safe work environment that supports a healthy lifestyle;
- To assign the responsibility for implementing this policy to all managers in their specific work environments for the co-workers and sub-contractors under their responsibility;
- To provide managers with the requisite training so that they can fully assume the responsibility of applying this policy in their specific work environment for all co-workers and sub-contractors under their responsibility.
A. Lassonde Inc. plans to develop a corporate culture that encourages personnel to commit to a personal responsibility for WHSW based on the following points:
- That all personnel have clearly established WSHW responsibilities and objectives in accordance with the policy involved;
- That there is positive recognition for those who demonstrate responsibility in WHSW matters;
- That management actively show their commitment to the policy and to the commitments of A. Lassonde Inc. in this matter;
- That WHSW performance is actively monitored by means of all available date;
- That personnel is involved in the identification of needs related to WHSW.
In order to fullfil these commitments, we provide the requisite training and resources to ensure that management, in their area of responsibility, fully understand WHSW results. Managers’ responsibilities will be confirmed in terms of attainment of results; which are to prevent accidents and to maintain the health, safety and wellness of those under their supervision.
With regard to business philosophy and practices, we expect all sub-contractors who work at our premises to be responsible for the same level of health, safety and wellness as we expect of our employees. All contracts will include provisions to guarantee this result.
We will conduct regular audits of our activity sites to evaluate compliance with our health, safety and wellness provisions.
Members of the Workplace Health, Safety and Wellness Committee at our activity sites are responsible, among other responsibilities, for working with management in the attainment of health, safety and wellness objectives. The WHSW Committee will provide the people in charge with analyses and they will help to develop and implement effective health, safety and wellness programs.
We are committed to offering our personnel health, safety and wellness in the workplace and to providing them with the resources they need in our WHSW programs. We are committed to complying with the Act respecting occupational health and safety and the Regulation respecting information on controlled products; the Act respecting labour standards; the Canadian Human Rights Act; the Tobacco Act; the Environment Quality Act, and any other law or regulation related to these various laws applicable to our establishments.
We consider the deployment of these programs as an investment in our most precious resource: our employees.
Lassonde Industries Inc. and A. Lassonde Inc. have been certified "Healthy Enterprise, Elite Level" since 2009. As of June 6th, 2012 the BNQ awarded us, once again, the Elite Level certification for a period of three years.
As well, we are extremely proud that we are being awarded the Canada Awards for Excellence – Healthy Workplace Award Gold Trophy
"Lassonde Industries Inc. acknowledges the priceless value of its employees and acts accordingly. Our Health, Safety and Well-being program reflects this belief and implements strategies to improve health and quality of life of our staff."
1- Raise staff awareness regarding the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
2- Motivate staff to take charge of their health by changing lifestyles
3- Raise staff awareness regarding the importance to strive for balance in his/her personal and professional life
4- Reduce costs related to disability and prescription drug insurance
Implementation Plan and Spheres of activity
The implementation plan identifies actions in four spheres of activity known to have a significant impact on the health of our staff. The four spheres of activity are the following:
1- Living Habits:
- Gym in the work setting (opened 7 /24 under the supervision of our Kinesiologist)
- Individualized Health Profile, Personalized Training Programs, Health passport
- ‘Health 5/30/Équilibre’ Challenge and ‘Défi tabac J’arrête’ Challenge
- Fitness Reimbursement Program and Corporate Advantage Card with Energie Cardio
- Weight Loss Program- weekly on site meeting
- Yoga /Zumba - weekly class
- Montreal Oasis Marathon – free registration for all Lassonde Industries employees
- Subsidized c0afeteria with health menu choices
2- Work/Life Balance:
- Phased Retirement Program
- Employee satisfaction survey
- Daycare available
- Personalized work and off-work requests with immediate supervisor
- Family Apple Picking Day at Mr. Lassonde’s orchards
3- Working Environment:
- On site audiogram and hearing protection: disposable and molded hearing protection
- Occupational Health Service program with CLSC
- Workplace, Health, Safety and Wellness Committee
- Workplace Inspection Program (monthly)
- Ergonomic Studies (plant and office)
- Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders Program (WMSDs)
- Prevention Program legislated by the OH&S
- Annual Action Plan to improve the working environment
- Post-disability back-to-work Program
4- Management Practices:
- Development of healthy products
- Emergency action plan for pandemic crisis
- On site vaccination clinics for employees and their immediate family members
- Employee Assistance Program
- Management and Work attendance Program
- Yearly Blood Drive clinics
- Full time Health Coordinator and Health and Safety Coordinator
- Scholarships for employees children who wish to study in the food industry
- Health Newsletter
- Recognition Program
- Sustainable Development Program