2013 CAE Recipient Profile - Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) is an independent trust agency that administers compensation and no-fault insurance for Ontario workplaces. We are committed to delivering what matters to the workers and employers of Ontario: fast, accessible service and fair benefits at a fair price. The WSIB provides wage loss benefits, medical coverage and help getting back to work – the best possible outcome following an injury on the job.
In 2005, the WSIB began our journey of becoming a formally recognized healthy workplace by engaging in the Progressive Excellence Program (PEP) with Excellence Canada. In 2006 we achieved PEP Level 1, in 2007 we achieved PEP Level 2, in 2011 we achieved PEP Level 3, and in 2013, we achieved PEP Level 4.
Along the way, the WSIB has experienced unprecedented change. The modernization of our business operations, our new strategic business framework, our approach to customer service and the make-up of our leadership team have all contributed to a renewed WSIB. Through this time of change, we have maintained our focus on the health and wellbeing of our employees. We are committed to informing them, engaging them and reinforcing their value to the organization. We have built a solid foundation for our workplace based on three elements modeled by Excellence Canada:
- Workplace Culture and Supportive Environment – “Workplace Culture”
- Physical Environment and Occupational Health and Safety – “Safe Work Environment”
- Health and Lifestyle Practices – “Health and Well-being”
Our culture continues to be created, reinforced and sustained through patterns of relationships and communications that are known to have an important influence on physical and mental health. These patterns are strongly influenced by managerial decisions about the organization, the design of work and the application of policies and practices. Components include:
- Code of Business Ethics and Behaviour
- Workplace Violence, Discrimination and Harassment Policy
- Biennial Employee Engagement Survey
- Employee Recognition and Reward programs
- A Mental Health Program which promotes workplace mental health in an atmosphere of cooperation between the WSIB and employees
- A Tuition Assistance Program to enable employee-led development within an annually defined per capita budget
Safe Work Environment
The safety of our employees goes beyond legislative compliance. The WSIB fosters a safe and healthy work environment with policies, programs and activities that reinforce and provide the highest level of safety – regardless of where work is done. Some examples of the programs we have in place include:
- Our Work Safe Program, which proactively responds to workplace physical injury and illness, and ensures a psychologically safe workplace through an interdependent system
- Joint Occupational Health and Safety committees at both the local and organizational levels
- A comprehensive Ergonomic Program for in-office and remote work locations, which proactively responds to employee needs related to workstation setup and design
- Annual Health, Safety and Wellness events, such as National Occupational Health and Safety (NAOSH) Week, Healthy Workplace Month, Emergency Preparedness Week and Heart Health Month.
- Health and Safety Training Programs, mandatory for all employees, which include ongoing re-training and refreshers
Health and Well-Being
Our workplace enables and supports healthy lifestyles, behaviours and life skills through information on health practices, supportive programs and people-centred policies. Components include:
- A Wellness Committee structured through Wellness Ambassadors in each office
- Annual Healthy Workplace Month
- Corporate Fitness Club rates
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fitness Incentive Tracking (‘FIT’) Program
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Health Clinic Services
- Healthy Workplace Centre
- Onsite yoga and meditation in various offices across the province
- Staff Association
- Wellness Centre in Head Office and various regional offices
- Wellness Days
- Wellness seminars and events throughout the year
The WSIB’s Healthy Workplace is constantly evolving to meet the ever-changing needs of our employees. We continue to work towards becoming an employer of choice where the WSIB is recognized as a workplace where employees can lead, learn and grow. Our Healthy Workplace journey has created a new lens through which we view the interactions between our people, their work and the organization. We have seen progress along our journey, both in the success of our business and in the health of our employees.
Our leadership team models Health, Safety and Wellness through interactive leadership, communication, management practices and a supportive culture. Our Business Plan and Human Resources Plan (which includes our Healthy Workplace Plan) are at the centre of our leadership. Our Business Plan responds to the external customer; the Human Resources Plan responds to the internal customer. We believe we cannot deliver on one without delivering on the other.