2016 CAE Recipient Profile - LASSONDE INDUSTRIES
Lassonde Industries Inc. develops, manufactures and markets a wide range of ready-to-drink fruit and vegetable juices and drinks. The Company is the second largest producer of store brand shelf-stable fruit juices and drinks in the United States and a major producer of cranberry sauces. Furthermore, the Company develops, manufactures and markets specialty food products such as fondue broths and sauces, packaged corn-on-the-cob and pasta sauces. It also imports selected wines from several countries of origin for packaging and marketing purposes. It also produces apple cider and cider-based beverages.
The Company has five principal operating subsidiaries: A. Lassonde Inc.; Apple & Eve, LLC; Arista Wines Inc.; Lassonde Pappas and Company, Inc. (formerly Clement Pappas and Company, Inc.); and Lassonde Specialties Inc. The Company produces superior quality products through the expertise of approximately 2,100 people working in 14 plants across Canada and the United States. The shares of Lassonde Industries Inc. are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
The Company is active in two market segments: the retail segment and the food service segment. Retail sales account for approximately 81% of total annualized sales and consist of sales to food retailers and wholesalers such as supermarket chains, independent grocers, superstores, warehouse clubs, major pharmacy chains and online sales. Food service sales account for approximately 19% of total annualized sales and consist of sales to restaurants, hotels, hospitals, schools and wholesalers serving these institutions.
The Company’s national brands are sold in various packages under several proprietary trademarks, including Antico, Apple & Eve, Arte Nova, Bombay, Canton, Double Vie, Dublin’s Pub, Everfresh, Fairlee, Fruité, Grown Right, miSangrina, Mont-Rouge, Northland, Oasis, Orange Maison, Pomme de Coeur, Rougemont, Ruby Kist, Sunlike, Tropical Grove as well as under trademarks for which the Company is a licensed user such as Allen’s, Del Monte, Graves, Mitchell’s, Nature’s Best, and Tetley. On an annual basis, the Company’s sales are geographically broken down as follows: approximately 58% of the Company’s sales are made in the United States, 41% in Canada and less than 1% in other countries.
Health, Safety and Wellness Profile
Healthy Enterprise Policy
Lassonde Industries Inc. considers the health, safety and wellness of all its employees to be of the greatest importance. In this respect, we have a responsibility to protect and maintain the health, safety and wellness of our employees as well as the health, safety and wellness of local communities and of our customers. We confirm this commitment by our policy for workplace health, safety and wellness (WHSW).
We believe that health, safety and wellness are an integral part of a company’s management functions and that they are compatible with all other functions.
Accordingly, Lassonde Industries Inc. is engaged in a continuous improvement process of organizational practices favorable to health, safety, and wellness, as well as respectful of the environment.
WHSW policies and practices are the responsibility of supervisors with the active support of senior management. Our commitments in this respect are as follows:
- To establish corporate directives and programs based on legal provisions and targeting a work environment for our activities that is safe, environmentally friendly, and conductive to health and wellness;
- To ensure the development and implementation in groups and divisions of policies and methods in line with corporate guidelines for health, safety, wellness and the environment;
- To evaluate, on regular basis, our results with regard to health, organizational practices that promote health, safety, wellness and the environment, using internal guidelines and methods as well as external regulations;
- To offer all co-workers and sub-contractors a stimulating, respectful and safe work environment that supports a healthy lifestyle;
- To assign the responsibility for implementing this policy to all managers in their specific work environments for the co-workers and sub-contractors under their responsibility;
- To provide managers with the requisite training so that they can fully assume the responsibility of applying this policy in their specific work environment for all co-workers and sub-contractors under their responsibility.
A. Lassonde Inc. is developing a corporate culture that encourages personnel to commit to a personal responsibility for WHSW based on the following points:
- That all personnel have clearly established WSHW responsibilities and objectives in accordance with the policy involved;
- That there is positive recognition for those who demonstrate responsibility in WHSW matters;
- That management actively show their commitment to the policy and to the commitments of A. Lassonde Inc. in this matter;
- That WHSW performance is actively monitored by means of all available date;
- That personnel is involved in the identification of needs related to WHSW.
In order to fulfil these commitments, we provide the requisite training and resources to ensure that management, in their area of responsibility, fully understand WHSW results. Managers’ responsibilities will be confirmed in terms of attainment of results; which are to prevent accidents and to maintain the health, safety and wellness of those under their supervision.
With regard to business philosophy and practices, we expect all sub-contractors who work at our premises to be responsible for the same level of health, safety and wellness as we expect of our employees. All contracts will include provisions to guarantee this result.
We conduct regular audits of our activity sites to evaluate compliance with our health, safety and wellness provisions.
Members of the Workplace Health and Wellness Committee at our activity sites are responsible, among other responsibilities, for working with management in the attainment of health, safety and wellness objectives. The WHSW Committee provide the people in charge with analyses and they help to develop and implement effective health, safety and wellness programs.
We are committed to offering our personnel health, safety and wellness in the workplace and to providing them with the resources they need in our WHSW programs. We are committed to complying with the Act respecting occupational health and safety and the Regulation respecting information on controlled products; the Act respecting labour standards; the Canadian Human Rights Act; the Tobacco Act; the Environment Quality Act, and any other law or regulation related to these various laws applicable to our establishments.
We consider the deployment of these programs as an investment in our most precious resource: our employees.
Lassonde Industries Inc. and A. Lassonde Inc. have been certified "Healthy Enterprise, Elite Level" since 2009. As of June 15th, 2015 the BNQ awarded us, once again, the Elite Level certification for a period of three years.
As well, we are extremely proud that we are being awarded the Canada Awards for Excellence – Healthy Workplace Award Gold Trophy.
Lassonde Industries Inc. acknowledges the priceless value of its employees and acts accordingly. Our Health, Safety and Well-being program reflects this belief and implements strategies to improve health and quality of life of our staff.
- Raise staff awareness regarding the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- Motivate staff to take charge of their health by changing lifestyles
- Raise staff awareness regarding the importance to strive for balance in his/her personal and professional life
- Reduce costs related to disability and prescription drug insurance
Implementation Plan and Spheres of activity
The implementation plan identifies actions in four spheres of activity known to have a significant impact on the health of our staff. The four spheres of activity are the following:
- 5/30 Health and Wellness Challenge
- Annual Health BBQ and Health Day
- Corporate Advantage Card with Energie Cardio
- Fitness Reimbursement Program
- Gym in the work setting (opened 24/7 under the supervision of our kinesiologists)
- Health & Wellness Committee
- Personalized Training Programs and Consultations
- Subsidized cafeteria with health menu choices
- Yoga - weekly class
- Daycare available for employee’s children
- Employee satisfaction survey
- Family Apple Picking Day at Mr. Lassonde’s orchards
- Montreal Oasis Marathon – free registration Lassonde Industries employees and special rate for family (VIP pass)
- Phased Retirement Program
- Personalized work and off-work requests with immediate supervisor
- Retirement planning information sessions
- Annual Action Plan to improve the working environment
- Audiogram and hearing protection: disposable and molded hearing protection
- Emergency response plan
- Ergonomic Studies (plant and office)Risk Assessment in workplace
- LOTO Program
- Occupational Health & Safety Committee
- Occupational Health Service Program with CISSS
- Prevention Program legislated by the OH&S
- Post-disability back-to-work Program
- Workplace Inspection and Audit Program (weekly and monthly)
- Work-related Musculoskeletal Disorders Program (WMSDs)
- Annual Blood Drive clinics
- Annual Program of activities to improve health and wellness of employees
- Annual Vaccination clinics for employees and their immediate family members
- Attendance Recognition Program
- Biennial survey on employee’s satisfaction in regards to the Health & Wellness Program and the commitment of the Direction
- Development of healthy products
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Recognition Gala
- Lassonde Employee Newsletter
- Scholarships for students who study in the food industry
- Skills Development Program
- Sustainable Development Program (Environment, Health and Water)
- Succession Development Program
- Occupational Health and Safety Recognition Program
- Training for supervisor on non-monetary recognition