Manulife’s Success Story
Our people are critical to helping us deliver on our company purpose of helping our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations. We want our people to be healthy both in and out of work, which is why invest in their development, success and well-being.
Wellness Matters, Manulife’s wellness program, empowers our employees to understand their health status and what being healthy means. It supports them in developing healthy habits and taking an active role in managing their health. The program is built on best practices and models the Wellness products Manulife offers to our clients.
Our commitment to employee well-being has influenced organizational practices and contributed to our success as a recipient of Canada Awards for Excellence:
- Identification and understanding of our organization’s three key behaviors: We work as One, We question and Innovate, We own our future
– Programs that enable employees to work more efficiently and effectively.
– MeetingSmart: a set of tools and guides making team work more efficient.
– Worksmart: This provides greater flexibility for employees to work from home and/or in the office.
- Commitment to corporate social responsibility and volunteerism
- Allocation of the appropriate human and financial resources to support a comprehensive health and wellness program (e.g., health assessments, screenings, coaching, flu clinics, webinars, etc.)
- As part of our Group Benefit Plan, $10K per person for mental health services is allocated to help remove the financial barrier to seeking appropriate care
- Improvements to physical work environments, including standing workstations, fitness centers, nursing mothers rooms, collaboration spaces and access to natural daylight throughout.
- Launch of Vitality, our innovative approach to life insurance that combines education, technology and rewards to encourage and support our customers in living healthy lives.
Manulife demonstrated strengths in the four following drivers that made it a Healthy Workplace:
- Manulife recognizes that its workforce is critical to its success and as such has committed to offer its employees a healthy work environment by adopting clear guidelines.
- We’ve been recognized for our commitment to employees through numerous award wins such as Canada’s Most
- Admired Corporate Cultures, Canada’s Top Employer for Youth People and Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
- Each year we create an implementation plan that incorporates all major items of our strategy and programs. It covers the full cycle of our Health and Wellness related activities, from data collection, analysis, implementation and evaluation.
- Our wellness strategy was developed based on input from various sources such as Health Risk Assessment, engagement surveys, benefits reviews and biometric screening clinics, employee feedback and benefit utilization.
- Our robust recruitment, selection and on-boarding approach ensures that new employees are welcomed into the Manulife culture.
Employee referrals are our top recruiting source.
Our Stars of Excellence program celebrates top-performing employees across our global operations each year. We also have various departmental rewards and recognition programs across the company.
Process and Risks
- We have comprehensive enterprise risk management processes that ensure impacts and risks are formally assessed.
- We’ve introduced change management roles and made change management training available to any leaders or employees impacted by changes.
We are working hard to create a workplace beyond expectations. By reaching further, engaging employees in dialogue and doing more for our people, we are creating a differentiated workplace and we continue to evolve and improve together.