A framework for achieving a
Psychologically Healthy and Safe Workplace
Mental Health at Work
Our framework aligns with the requirements of the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace. It ensures success through a focus on policies, practices and programs to achieve measurable results and create a healthier and more productive workplace.
Request a complimentary 30-minute consultation.
Canada Awards for Excellence Recipient Video
Bell Canada’s Commitment to Mental Health in the Workplace
4 Levels of Progressive Certification
Independent validation and national recognition through the Canada Awards for Excellence, the country’s most coveted organizational awards program.
Certification consists of four levels and is designed for organizations that want to establish a culture of continual improvement, build improvement plans, and measure how they are progressing at each stage of their journey.
Mental Health at Work Essentials
The Mental Health at Work Essentials program is an optional basic level depending on the readiness of the organization. It ensures that the foundational pieces are in place before progressing to the Mental Health at Work Gold level. An Excellence Canada Coach can assist organizations in determining if they are ready to embark at the Gold level.
Mental Health at Work Essentials demonstrates:
- The organization is in the initial stages of implementing a long-term strategic focus on PH&S that promotes good principles and practices.
- The organization has a commitment to continual improvement, assessment, and evaluation.
- A solid methodology is in place across the organization based on the [email protected] Essentials and has been implemented in key areas.
- The organization is in transition from a focus on “reacting” to issues to a more preventative approach.
- Positive results are being achieved from improvement efforts in some areas.
The key outcomes of the Bronze level are:
- Broad team support of the vision, mission, and values.
- Recognition of the importance of embedding PH&S principles in decision making at all levels of the organization.
- Policy statements related to PH&S.
- A wide understanding by employees of the organization’s strategic approach to mental health.
- Broad participation by employees in achieving the organization’s mental health goals.
- Strategic and operational plans are being developed.
- Establishment of baseline indicators, measures and related goals for mental health.
Mental Health at Work – Gold Level
The Gold Level builds on the solid implementation of psychological health and safety established in the Mental Health at Work Essentials program. (The Essentials program is an optional basic level depending on the readiness of the organization)
- There is organization-wide implementation of the strategic focus on mental health through the understanding and application of the [email protected] program.
- A sound, structured approach to a psychologically healthy and safe workplace is in place.
The key outcomes of the Gold level are:
- Positive achievements in meeting and exceeding strategic [email protected] goals.
- An organization-wide focus on mental health and employee well-being opportunities.
- Positive results are being achieved across all drivers, and across all areas/departments of the organization.
- Quantifiable improvements in being a psychologically healthy and safe workplace as a result of moving from reactive to proactive and preventive approaches and practices.
Mental Health at Work - Platinum
The Platinum Level builds on the achievements and outcomes from the previous level with a focus on establishing sustainable practices.
- The organization has achieved excellent results and positive trends from its efforts for overall improvement in mental health.
- The organization can clearly identify sustained improvements aligned to specific mental health objectives and goals.
The key outcomes of the Platinum Level are:
- Sound systemic approach to a psychologically healthy and safe workplace.
- Continuous improvement is a “way of life” with full integration of mental health into culture and systems.
- Sustained results in all related areas (trend data required).
- The organization is viewed as a leader in terms of knowledge sharing, industry and benchmark leadership, and best practices related to mental health in the workplace.
Canada Order of Excellence (COE)
Achieving Excellence Canada’s COE means that the organization has sustained progress in [email protected] at the Platinum level, plus established best practices benchmarked against world-class organizations. The organization is able to demonstrate the impact of its mental health focus over several years and is a recognized leader in mental health. Successful organizations will receive a Canada Awards for Excellence at the Canada Order of Excellence level.
What Our Clients are Saying…
Excellence Canada’s Mental Health at Work program represented a significant validation of the Commission’s Wellness Plan and our efforts to implement the Standard. The Program’s further alignment with the National Standard on Psychological Health and Safety, along with Excellence Canada’s evaluation process, will assist organizations to ensure that their actions, programs and policies are congruent with the Standard. Organizations that are recognized at the National level through the Canada Awards for Excellence can truly be said to be industry leaders in establishing positive employee and organizational health cultures and the Commission is proud to be part of this growing movement.
Saint Elizabeth has achieved uncommon growth and social innovation because of the ideas, passion and commitment of its staff. Excellence Canada’s Mental Health and Wellness program fits extremely well with our efforts to continuously empower support and recognize staff.
I’m happy to report that this Board has, in the past two years, made great strides into an area where it refused to go in the past. That is, the area of mental health. They have not only acknowledged the problems brought about by illness, they have also decided to throw money at it when it’s needed. From where we sit this is beautiful in many ways, because it means less suffering for those affected by mental health issues. It means that our members can now get the help which they rightly deserve.
At Toronto East General Hospital we have undertaken a journey to develop and sustain a culture of quality, wellness and continuous improvement. TEGH believes that quality combined with a healthy workplace is vital to achieving the organization’s success and to making it the best place to give and receive care. TEGH emphasizes a mentally and physically healthy workplace that supports a work-life balance. Implementing the Mental Health at Work program is a vital component of our strategy and demonstrates our commitment to a healthy environment.
Meet Some of Our Clients