The Healthy Workplace Standard provides a strategic framework for adaptation and harmonizes various practices into an aligned management system for pursuing organizational goals. This strategic approach helps build and sustain a culture of excellence.
Request a complimentary 30-minute consultation and receive a copy of the Healthy Workplace Standard
Elements of a Healthy Workplace
The Standard includes four elements that identify what a Healthy Workplace involves
Attention to occupational health and safety in the physical environment
OH&S has been legislated in Canada for more than 100 years, aiming to reduce the risk of fatalities and workplace disabilities. This driver involves fully and continually addressing matters of occupational health and safety, including the possible impacts of new technologies, production changes, increasing demands on time, and cost containment measures.
Support for healthy lifestyles
This involves helping employees develop and maintain healthy lifestyle practices, drop unhealthy/risky habits and make optimal use of the health care system.
A workplace culture that supports mental health
OH&S has been legislated in Culture is created, reinforced and sustained by ongoing patterns of relationships and communications that are known to have an important influence on psychological health and safety. This driver involves an organizational culture that reflects values that support mental health, such as trust, fairness, respect, diversity, inclusion and teamwork.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
The interrelationship between the community, the workplace and the employee is known to influence employee health and well-being, as well as the health and performance of the organization. CSR activities are often seen as voluntary, going above and beyond what is legislated or required. This driver includes how the organization’s CSR activities address workplace aspects such as occupational health and safety, human rights, community development, environmental protection and emergency response.
Canada Awards for Excellence Recipient
4 Levels of Progressive Certification
Independent validation and national recognition through the Canada Awards for Excellence, the country’s most coveted organizational awards program.
Healthy Workplace Essentials
Healthy Workplace - Gold
- There is organization-wide implementation of the strategic focus on a healthy workplace through the understanding and application of the Healthy Workplace Standard.
- A sound, structured approach to a healthy workplace is in place.
The key outcomes of Gold level are:
- Positive achievements in meeting and exceeding strategic healthy workplace goals.
- An organization-wide focus on healthy workplace and employee well-being.
- Positive results for a healthy workplace are being achieved across all drivers, and across all areas/departments of the organization.
- Quantifiable improvements in being a healthy workplace as a result of moving from reactive to proactive and preventive approaches and practices.
Healthy Workplace - Platinum
- The organization has achieved excellent results and positive trends from its efforts for overall improvement in a healthy workplace.
- The organization can clearly identify sustained improvements aligned to specific healthy workplace objectives and goals.
The key outcomes of the Platinum level are:
- Sound systemic approach to a healthy workplace.
- Continuous improvement is a “way of life” with full integration of a healthy workplace into culture and systems.
- Sustained positive improvements in all related areas (trend data required).
- The organization is viewed as a healthy workplace leader in terms of knowledge sharing, industry and benchmark leadership, and best practices.
Canada Order of Excellence
Achieving Excellence Canada’s Canada Order of Excellence means that the organization has sustained healthy workplace progress at the Platinum level over several years, plus established best practices benchmarked against world-class organizations. The organization is a recognized leader in all aspects of wellness. Successful organizations will receive a Canada Awards for Excellence at the Canada Order of Excellence level.